Level: Project Manager, Livelihoods Mount Elgon Project
Reports to: Kenya Country Manager
Term: 2 years fixed contract
Location: Kitale, Kenya
Vi Agroforestry is a Swedish NGO that has been operating in East Africa since 1983. The organisation has its headquarters in Stockholm, Sweden and a Regional Office in Nairobi, Kenya with country offices in Kampala (Uganda), Mwanza (Tanzania), Kigali (Rwanda) and Kitale (Kenya).
Vi Agroforestry is currently implementing her strategy 2017-2021 that contributes towards having smallholder farmer families in Sub-Saharan Africa sustainably improving their livelihoods through increased resilience to climate change, enhanced food security, improved incomes, and greater equality between women and men by 2021. The strategy targets smallholder farmer families living in poverty, with increased focus on women, children and youth, who are members or potential members of democratic farmers’ organisations. This ambition is realized through the programme ALIVE (Agroforestry for Livelihood Empowerment), which comprises of projects and interventions carried out in the four countries of operation in partnership with local organisations.
Vi Agroforestry in Kenya is the home of the “Livelihood Mount Elgon Project”, one of the interventions within the ALIVE programme. ‘Livelihood Mount Elgon’ is an ambitious 10-year project designed to secure thriving livelihoods for smallholder farmer communities around Mt. Elgon – in Trans Nzoia and Bungoma Counties. The project aims at environmental, social and economic benefits with a focus on dairy value chain.
Vi Agroforestry seeks to fill the position of a Project Manager – Livelihood Mount Elgon Project.
Purpose of the position:
The purpose of the position is to provide leadership, support, organise and control the project team to empower farmers through adoption of Sustainable Agriculture Land Management (SALM) and sustainable smallholder dairy business for improved livelihoods. You will work under direct supervision of the Kenya Country Manager Vi Agroforestry to lead in the successful achievement of the set project targets and milestones in the project components of SALM, dairy, gender and cooperative development.
- Provide leadership and supervision of project team to achieve all project objectives (SALM, milk production, gender equality, cooperative development and carbon sequestration). Ensure the sustainability of the project as defined in the agreement project agreement with the donor
- Support development of sustainable dairy business hubs
- Responsible for effective and timely project planning, implementation and reporting
- Coordinate M&E and data quality control and quality assurance; ensure maintenance of a reliable and credible farmer database.
- Provide relevant linkages among stakeholders including cooperatives.
- Organise capacity building of project team
- Ensure continuous improvement of the team (e.g. forums for field coordinators, field officers, community facilitators to learn from one another on best practices)
- Coordinate documentation and visibility of the project.
- develop and manage an effective feedback mechanism in the project
- Continuous risk assessment and management
- Responsible for budget management and control
- Will be a member of the operational committee and will be responsible for providing reports for discussion at the steering committee.
- Be proactive, critical and creative thinker, team player and able to structure and manage complex tasks.
- Strong and demonstrable leadership skills
- Have strong capacity in preparing and presenting documents in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail.
- Have demonstrated creativity, ability to think systematically, willingness and ability to incorporate innovative solutions.
- Have quantitative and qualitative approaches to evaluation and ability to communicate Monitoring Learning & Evaluation (MLE) concepts clearly with leadership, partners, and staff at all levels.
- Have willingness and ability to travel through the project sites
- Be comfortable working with computers and concentrating for extended periods of time, performing office environment activities while in remote areas.
- Have ability to working with sensitive information and maintaining confidentiality when it comes to the business information gathered in line of duty.
- Have excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to manage and execute multiple tasks with minimal supervision while meeting sometimes strict deadlines
- Clear understanding of the dairy value chain, environment and climate action and sustainable land management, farmer extension strategies
- Practical knowledge on gender equality and women empowerment.
- Knowledge of enterprise development and linkages to poverty alleviation.
- Strong interpersonal/people management skills and excellent oral and written communication skills a must;
- Proven experience in building the capacity of farmer institutions to document and disseminate industry information, manage knowledge, measure progress and plan and advocate within the industry
- Track record of building strong stakeholder relationships;
- Valid and clean driving license (with ability to use manual-gear vehicles).
Education and Job experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture Economics, Environmental Science/Studies, Project Management, Business Administration, Rural Development, Enterprise Development or other related field,
- Six (6) years field and technical experience with project management, ecosystem management, gender equality, agribusiness development in a mix of economic growth/trade, value chain competitiveness, investment promotion, or agriculture development; in a project of similar scale and in mid-level management
- Experience in results-based management
- Certificate in project management or monitoring and evaluation is an added advantage
Application letter indicating a brief statement why you qualify for the job, accompanied with a detailed CV and names of at least three (3) professional referees with their daytime telephone contacts, and current and expected remuneration (gross salary and cash benefits) should be sent to the address below before the close of business on Friday 24th April 2020. (Please do not attach scanned certificates, academic documents and testimonials at this point).
Vi Agroforestry is an equal opportunity employer; it does not discriminate on the basis of ethnicity, functional ability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious belief, parenting or age.