Vi Agroforestry is a Swedish development cooperation organisation, fighting poverty and working with sustainable agriculture and land management through agroforestry. Our vision is a sustainable environment that enables women and men living in poverty to improve their lives. We do this together with small-holder farming families and farmers’ organisations in four countries: Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda and Rwanda. Agroforestry provides increased access to food, access to sustainable energy sources and an increased income. Agroforestry also contributes to the mitigation of climate change and protects against the negative effects of climate change. Since its inception in 1983, Vi Agroforestry has reached over 2,3 million people through education, advisory and services.
As Regional Director you have the overall responsibility for Vi Agroforestry’s operations in the region. As such, you ensure that all activities are conducted and developed in accordance with Vi Agroforestry´s objectives, policies, strategies, guidelines and working methods, with high quality through systematic planning, monitoring and evaluation. You are responsible to move the organisation forward according to plan but also look for ways to develop and refine programmes, partnerships and financing opportunities; all aiming at further reducing poverty in the countries.
The Regional Director is the representative of the organisation in the region and keeps up with current issues of strategic value to the organisation. You are expected to involve yourself in strategic networking, relationship building with strategic actors to identify and develop partnership and funding opportunities in the region. You have a close collaboration with the Vi Agroforestry Director, and the Vi Agroforestry Department at Head Office.
You know how to work in complex environments and are an experienced development practitioner and stand firmly in the rights-based approach. You have a solid experience of implementing the Swedish strategy for support to civil society.
Example of tasks:
- Lead and develop the work in the region according to Vi Agroforestry vision, values and global strategies.
- Participate in the overall development of the strategies and operations in the region
- Manage regional staff as well as the Country managers in Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda and Tanzania.
- Be responsible for the elaboration of the region’s budget and the resource mobilisation
- Overall development, coordination and quality assurance of the country programs.
- Ensure compliance to donor policies, procedures and procurement
- Represent Vi Agroforestry in relevant networks and contexts
To succeed in this position, you know how to work in complex environments and with different levels of operations. You are an experienced development practitioner and an experienced and professional manager. As a leader you are mature and value based, with commitment and tools to support your staff to succeed in their roles.
As Regional Director it is crucial that you have excellent ability to organise, plan, prioritise and communicate your work. In this you have great analytical skills and a strategic outlook. You work innovatively, know how to identify opportunities and act upon them responsibly. You know what it takes to deliver results and make well-analysed decisions in a timely manner. You share Vi Agroforestry’s vision and values.
- University degree or equivalent within a relevant field
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English.
- Management experience and staff responsibility with strong leadership skills
- Experience of managing international development cooperation within civil society and knowledge of its tools.
- Excellent skills and experience in financial management and budget analysis, including grant management.
- Theoretical and practical understanding and experience of the rights-based approach and civil society development
- Solid knowledge of Swedish development cooperation particularly with civil society
- Experience from a variety of back-donor funding including institutional funding, foundations and private donations.
- Experience of leading organisational change
- Knowledge and experience of working within the fields of SALM (Sustainable Agriculture and Land Management), agroforestry, biodiversity, and poverty reduction.
- Knowledge of and engagement for environmental and climate questions, in relation to people’s livelihoods.
- Other relevant languages such as French, Swahili, Swedish etc.
The employment is a fixed term position for two years, with possibility of extension. Start date August 1st, 2020, or as agreed. The position is open for international candidates.
Vi Agroforestry strives for diversity in the organisation and welcome applicants regardless of gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, ethnicity, religious belief, or disability.