Vi Agroforestry (Vi-skogen) is a Swedish development organisation that supports farmers organisations to fight poverty and climate change in Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda and Rwanda. The main method is support to sustainable agriculture through agroforestry. Vi Agroforestry has a regional office in Nairobi, Kenya, as well as country offices in each of the four programme countries.
As Vi Agroforestry Director you have the overall responsibility for Vi Agroforestry’s development cooperation and advocacy work. As such, you ensure that operations adhere to Vi Agroforestry’s steering documents and guiding principles. You are responsible to lead the organisation forward and always seek opportunities to strengthen the core business of the organisation.
The department director is the spokesperson of the organisation. You are expected to involve yourself in strategic networking and to develop partnerships and funding opportunities.
- Strategic management of Vi Agroforestry’s development cooperation and advocacy work. This means overall responsibility for planning, follow-up and budgeting of the organisation’s operations.
- Management responsibility for the department’s staff at the HO and for the regional director.
- Participate in the Global Management Group.
- Represent the organisation in national and international networks and forums and towards donors, authorities and other stakeholders.
As a leader you are mature and value based, with the commitment, experience and tools to support your staff to succeed in their roles. You have excellent ability to organise, plan, prioritise and communicate your work. You have strong analytical skills and a strategic outlook. You are creative, know how to identify opportunities and act upon them responsibly. You know what it takes to deliver results and take well-analysed decisions in a timely manner. You share Vi Agroforestry’s vision and values.
- Senior experience as a manager with strong inclusive leadership.
- A degree in an area relevant for Vi Agroforestry or equivalent acquired knowledge.
- Several years’ experience of civil society development cooperation in Sweden and internationally.
- Good knowledge of Swedish development policy and international development cooperation.
- Experience of policy and advocacy work within areas relevant to Vi Agroforestry.
- Good knowledge of the principles of rights-based work, as well as good working knowledge of Vi Agroforestry’s thematic work areas.
- Strong communication skills in Swedish and English.
- Documented experience in change management.
- Knowledge and experience of working with gender mainstreaming.
The employment is a permanent position with a six months’ probation period. Start date as soon as possible. Vi Agroforestry strive for diversity in the organisation and welcome applicants regardless of gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, ethnicity, religious belief, or disability.