Rwanda, the land of a thousand hills, is a small country in East Africa known among other things for its scenic nature. Official sources estimate that about 70 percent of the people of Rwanda make their living from agriculture, and that two thirds of them are smallholder farmers. Yet engaging in farming can be a challenge in a country with a population density of about 500 people per square kilometer of land area ().
What we do
We teach sustainable agricultural land management practices to help farmers keep their lands moist and fertile, get better yields, stop soil erosion, and be more resistent to the effects of climate change. We also empower farmer families by teaching gender equality and we help them set up savings and loans groups since many of them lack access to banking services. All our work is carried out together with local partners, mostly farmers’ organisations. We help our partners be strong, independent and effective at all levels so that they may serve the interests of smallholder farmers in the best possible ways. All our work is carried out under the umbrella of the Agroforestry for Livelihood Empowerment programme, in short
Where we work
Vi Agroforestry has a country office in the capital, Kigali. We work closely with local partner organizations in the Gakenke, Rulindo and Gicumbi districts in the Northern province, the Kamonyi and Nyamagabe districts in the Southern province, the Kayonza district in the Eastern Province, and in the Gasabo district in and near Kigali city.
Our partners in Rwanda
- COOPRORIZ works with watershed management for improving farmers’ livelihood in the Kamonyi district.
- COTUMU teaches agroforestry methods for sustainable maize production to farmers in the Gakenke district.
- Koperative Abizerwa Byumba () helps fruit framers in the Gicumbi district be more resilient to climate change.
- UCOCARU is a union for coffee producers in the Rulindo District. The union helps coffee farmers increase their productivity and sustainability – thereby improving their livelihoods.
- UNICOOPAGI is a union working for economic empowerment of farmers in the Nyamagabe district through agroforestry.
- ZAMUKA, a cooperative in the Gasabo district teaches their members everything from how to market their products to how to secure their lands from droughts, floods and landslides.
- BENISHYAKA is focussing on youth empowerment for sustainable agriculture in the Kayonza district.
- The INADES FORMATION RWANDA is focused on national and international advocacy. They map how well Rwanda has managed to implement international commitments under the, gathering learnings and recommendations to empower smallholder farmers.